Director of Research, Professional Practice, & Magnet, Salem, OR
Job Title: Director of Research, Professional Practice, & Magnet - Nursing Admin
Site: Salem Hospital
Shift: Variable (40 hrs per week)
Overtime Schedule: Exempt
Salary Range: Dependant On Experience
Recruiter Name: Carrie Ariniello
Job Number: 5474387
Working Days: Mon-Fri
Salem Health is currently seeking a talented Director of Research, Professional Practice, & Magnet to join our team!
Salem Health offers exceptional care to people in and around Oregon’s mid-Willamette Valley. We have hospitals in Salem and Dallas (West Valley), a medical group of primary and specialty care providers, plus other affiliated services. Our Dallas hospital is a critical-access hospital. Our Salem hospital is a Magnet®-recognized facility, a regional referral center and one of the largest acute-care hospitals in Oregon. Salem Health is the area’s largest private employer, with about 3,500 full and part-time employees.
Every result we deliver has a profound impact on people’s lives, which is why we deliver more than just results. Our exceptional clinical care, healing environment, and commitment to quality patient care makes us tops with the people who matter to us: our patients and their families.
The Director of Research, Professional Practice and Magnet is a licensed registered professional nurse with graduate preparation at the doctoral level.
The Director has primary leadership responsibility for directing the research/evidence-based practice, advanced practice, education/ professional development, and magnet programs to create a culture of clinical excellence within Salem Health. This position is accountable for setting the stage for evidenced-based practice by identifying best practices, infusing research as an integral part of practice, or generating new knowledge in the absence of evidence to improve quality outcomes.
The Director has responsibility to assess current processes against Magnet standards and being a driving force to guide the organization in meeting all expectations that will result in Magnet redesignation. The Director will create plans, lead groups, educate staff/managers/ physicians, collect data, create transparent measurements of success, and involve physicians and staff from all levels of the organization in the process.
It is expected that this position will serve as the primary source of information on Magnet standards and will be the main contact with ANCC. Additionally, the Director assures implementation of processes for data collection and benchmarking with the National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI) and the Collaborative Alliance for Nursing Outcomes (CALNOC).
The Director provides leadership for the Clinical Nurse Specialist, Wound/Ostomy nurse and Clinical Education teams to build capacity and effectiveness in achieving the clinical, educational, and research strategies supportive of the vision, values and business objectives of the organization. Works collaboratively and proactively with staff, physicians, and hospital departments to facilitate and improve the seamlessness of the continuum of care and standardization of processes to enhance the patient experience.
Scope of responsibility includes, but is not limited to: Operational budgeting; personnel management; resource allocation; technology and innovation related to advanced practice (clinical nurse specialists), wound/ostomy practice, clinical education; staff education and competency; performance improvement; evidence-based practice; research and research utilization; patient safety and satisfaction; and physician relations.
Minimum Qualifications Include:
- Doctoral Degree in Nursing or a related field with a strong emphasis in research. If Doctorate in related field, a Master’s Degree in Nursing is required.
- Minimum 5-10 years clinical experience in nursing.
- Previous experience in quality improvement, research utilization, and the conduction and dissemination of research.
- Five (5) years minimum acute care RN experience required.
- Five (5) years progressive management experience required.
- Magnet experience required.
- Currently licensed to practice nursing as a RN in the State of Oregon, or have the ability to obtain licensure prior to date of hire.
- AONE or ANCC Nurse Executive Certification required within one (1) year of hire.
- BLS issued by the American Heart Association required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Include:
- Demonstrates current knowledge and expertise in the continuum of improvement (quality improvement, research, evidence-based practice, translation science) to advance practice and the provision of quality healthcare. Established innovator and change agent with demonstrated leadership expertise in translating evidence into practice. Proven ability in grant-writing, research design, statistical analysis/interpretation, and publication in refereed journals.
- Experience collecting and submitting data to national databases.
- Expertise in clinical education and professional development.
- Proven ability to build effective partnerships with staff, leaders, physicians and colleagues inside and outside the organization.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communications, team development, conflict management, consultation and group facilitation. Effective skills in delegating responsibility, establishing accountability, coaching and feedback.
- Demonstration of budgeting and fiscal management skills.
Core Job Functions Include:
RESEARCH & EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE
Oversees strategic planning for research and evidence-based practice. Supports Salem Health’s effort to improve quality care, linking research and evidence-based practice to improved patient outcomes.
Develops a professional practice environment that fosters a spirit of inquiry conducive to the conduct and utilization of research.
Designs research protocols for internally initiated studies. Works with investigators to ensure validity of study designs that support generation of new knowledge for practice. Serves as a consultant and mentor for original research projects generated by clinical staff, physicians and leaders. Develops program of research in area of specialization.
CLINICAL EDUCATION & ADVANCED PRACTICE
Develops and implements the Education Services strategic plan to support organizational strategies and objectives. Ensures linkages between the Clinical Education Department and operations planning.
Leads and develops a model for team-based practice encompassing the roles of the professional development and clinical nurse specialist staff. Models desired leadership, consultative and team member behaviors. Coaches Clinical Education Supervisor and team members to achieve individual and team excellence.
Researches, develops, implements and evaluates education processes consistent with the organization’s core commitments.
Collaborates and works closely with the CNO to develop, implement and maintain a decision-making model to support shared governance.
Provides oversight for the Practice Council and Specialty Practice Teams.
Ensures activities of the council and SPTs are focused on improvement and aligned with organizational strategic priorities. Coaches and mentors the Practice Council chair/co-chair, and SPT coordinator.
Serves as a resource for Magnet activities on behalf of SH’s journey toward Magnet re-designation; works with CNO and other nursing leaders to support the advancement of Magnet standards. Serves as the primary resource and contact person between SH and the Magnet credentialing body, as well as with national databases in which participation is required for Magnet status.
Working Conditions Include:
Frequent sitting up to 1/2 hour, moving about work area, & keyboard operation.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo pre-employment drug testing for unauthorized substances. Marijuana and medical marijuana are considered unauthorized substances. Upon date of hire, applicants will be required to complete the U.S. Department Homeland Security's I-9 form confirming identity and authorization to work in the United States. Salem Health is not able to support VISA sponsorships.
In order to be considered for this position, your resume must reflect all relevant licenses, certifications, education, and experience noted in the requirements and minimum qualification sections of this job posting. Without this information, candidates cannot be considered for positions to which they may be qualified.
Please note: Six furlough days per year are currently in effect for designated departments. Employees in their first twelve months of a benefit eligible position are generally exempted from mandatory furlough days.