Manager Respiratory Care Services, Tucson, AZ
Manages and assists in administrative functions of Respiratory Care department and is responsible for the overall coordination and activity of the Respiratory Therapists on their shift. Prepares daily work assignments and schedules, assists with training, answers questions, and monitors compliance with patient care procedures and quality standards.
Manages staff; interviews, hires and trains; evaluates employee performance; deals with performance problems as appropriate; delegates work assignments effectively.
Assists in managing department budget.
Completes a variety of tests including analysis of hydrogen ion concentration, carbon dioxide and oxygen levels, hemoglobin, oxyhemoglobin, carboxyhemoglobin, methemoglobin, lactate, oxyhemoglobin affinity studies, colloid osmotic pressure, and sodium and potassium levels.
Calculates diagnostic relationships such as shunt, dead space, and arterial venous oxygen content and alveolar-arterial oxygen differences.
Assesses neonatal/pediatric and adult patients; systematically uses technical skills to establish the appropriate level of respiratory care to be administered.
Functions as liaison between physicians, technologists and area support staff.
Operates computerized pulmonary function devices.
Oversees Blood Gas personnel in the performances of clinical bedside services, such as pulmonary function screening tests and mean arterial pressure monitoring.
Performs routine respiratory care treatments and oxygen administration for adults, pediatrics and neonatal areas; describes treatment to patients and/or families in a professional therapeutic manner.
Performs the repair, preventive maintenance, and use of quality control media for all blood gas laboratory instrumentation including calibration of the medical mass spectrometer, transcutaneous P02 monitor, exhaled CO2 monitor and other patient monitors.
Ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements in the hyperbaric unit and arterial blood gas laboratory.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Performs related duties assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of experience, preferably in a supervisory or lead role in an acute care setting.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Licensed AZ Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP), Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT), current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or AHA Basic Life Support (BLS), current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), current Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) within 30 days, and current Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) within 30 days.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of respiratory care techniques and practices as it relates to pulmonary health.
- Knowledge of management and leadership theory and practice.
- Knowledge of all regulatory requirements and laws regarding respiratory/patient care and practice.
- Skill in evaluating personnel performance and making recommendations for additional training if required.
- Skill in computer applications including Microsoft Office products, outlook and PowerPoint for presentations.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to work with concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions, and to apply mathematical operations to solve or analyze job-related situations.
- Ability to create financial forecasts and budgets, and identify positive or negative variances from expected outcomes.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.